Cell phones: they’re here and they’re not going away. So now it’s time to “stop worrying and learn to love them”. If you’re upset about how attracted teens are to their phones I’ll give you a few ideas that, hopefully, will make you feel better. After all, cellphones aren’t going away. Quite the opposite. They’re only going to get more powerful and more ubiquitous. The “pull” of the phone is irresistible. In this follow-up to episode 258 I want to talk about how adults and parents can feel less distressed by a teen’s behavior. I hope the ideas in this episode help.
Feel free to leave a comment below. How can we feel better about something (cell phone use) we can’t do a whole lot about?
Resources on Cell Phone Attraction
- 5 Reasons Why Youâ€™re Teenes Can’t Put Phones Down and What To Do About It (episode 258)
- Sherman, L. E., Payton, A. A., Hernandez, L. M., Greenfield, P. M., & Dapretto, M. (2016). The Power of the Like in Adolescence: Effects of Peer Influence on Neural and Behavioral Responses to Social Media. Psychological Science.
- Diehl, Kristin, Gal Zauberman, and Alixandra Barasch. “How Taking Photos Increases Enjoyment of Experiences.” Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 2016.
- More on Terror Management: Why Are We So Fascinated by Famous People?
- Dan Gilbert explains the “End of History” illusion