We all know that adolescence is a time of change and often a tough time for the teen. But what about the parent? Today’s parents are often older than years ago, and today’s parents are sometimes going through their own self-examination, their own doubts, their own exploration. What happens when you bring those two together? Sometimes a lot of yelling frankly. In this episode I talk about the changes going on in the adolescent and in the older parent and how parents can avoid the yelling and the accusations that only undermine what the teen is going through and how parents can step back and examine themselves. A little understanding can go a long way.
How Adolescents Affect their Parents
- Dopamine and Teenage Logic
- The Collateral Damage of a Teenager
- Teenagers are the Sane Ones — It’s the Parents Who are Nuts
- The Power of Validation: Arming Your Child Against Bullying, Peer Pressure, Addiction, Self-Harm, and Out-of-Control Emotions
- One of my favorite and most recommended authors: How to Talk So Teens Will Listen and Listen So Teens Will Talk