What comes to mind when you think “nursing home”? Not so good, right? Let’s change that. Let’s use what we learn from psychology to create exciting places for seniors to live. We’ve got the tools provided by Maslow’s Hierarchy and by Self Determination theory. Here’s one way we could revolutionize the “senior years”.
- Maslow’s Hierarchy: Physiological needs, Safety needs, Belongingness, Self-Esteem, Self-Actualization
- Self Determination theory: 3 key needs: Competence, Autonomy and Relatedness (acronym: CAR)
Episodes Related to Caring for the Elderly
- I know What You DIDâ€™T Do â€“ the Internet of Things for Dementia and Alzheimerâ€™s
- Dementia: When â€œLiving in the Momentâ€ is Not A Good Thing
- Do Brain Training Games Work?
- Good News for Older Folks
- What to do About Mom?