Most of us assume that one of the reasons men tend to act aggressively is that men have higher levels of testosterone. Let’s take a look at this “testosterone myth” because this isn’t always the case. In fact, in some cases, the higher levels of testosterone actually cause men to be MORE NICE than usual. Don’t believe it? Let’s take a look at what author Robert Sapolsky has to teach us about the true and subtle effects of testosterone in his book, Behave: The Biology of Humans at our Best and Worst. I think you’ll be surprised.
This episode was brought to you by the folks at HIMS – the one-stop shop for hair loss, skincare, sexual wellness for men. Check them out!
Testosterone and Aggression
- Behave: The Biology of Humans at our Best and Worst
- Strange but True: Testosterone Alone Does Not Cause Violence
- Emerge! Center Against Domestic Abuse
- I fell for the cult of masculinity—and the myth that men are aggressive by nature
- Take Back The Night Foundation
- What Men Need to do to End Violence Against Women
- Your Sexual Orientation: How Did It Develop?