In part of 1 of this interview Dr. J. Stuart Ablon we talk those children for whom timeout sometimes does not work. What are alternatives to timeout then? Listen in and learn about the Collaborative Problem Solving approach.
Resources on Parenting and Timeout
- Make sure to go to the Think Kids website for more information about collaborative problem solving.
- The Explosive Child: A New Approach for Understanding and Parenting Easily Frustrated, Chronically Inflexible Children
- Treating Explosive Kids: The Collaborative Problem-Solving Approach
Relevent Previous Episodes on The Psych Files
- Make sure to listen to the episode entitled Is Timeout Really Effective?
- An early episode of The Psych Files covers the basics of rewards and punishments.
Be sure to listen part 2 of this interview with Stuart Ablon called “Timeout Revisited”: dealing with challenging kids:
Part 2 of the interview on timeout revisited.